Travelling Ionospheric Disturbances (TIDs) are plasma density fluctuations that propagate as waves through the ionosphere at a wide range of velocities and frequencies. TIDs constitute a threat for operational systems using predictable ionospheric characteristics as they can impose significant disturbances in the ambient electron density and Doppler frequency shifts on HF signals. TIDs can have multiple effects in the operation of aerospatial and ground-based infrastructures and especially in the European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service (EGNOS) and Network Real-Time Kinematic (N-RTK) services, in High Frequency (HF) communications, in radio reconnaissance operations and in Very High Frequency – Ultra High Frequency (VHF-UHF) radiowave propagation.
Because of the high occurrence frequency of TIDs (almost daily), and the variety of their characteristics regarding their velocity, propagation direction and amplitude, their identification and tracking is very complicated and has not been achieved in operational service mode. The overarching objective of the TechTIDE project is to design and test new viable TID impact mitigation strategies for the technologies affected and in close collaboration with operators of these technologies, to demonstrate the added value of the proposed mitigation techniques.
The TechTIDE project started on 1st November 2017 and will run until 30 April 2020 (30 months).
Important milestones are:
- October 2018: Report on TID drivers
- January 2019: TID identification codes available with open access through the TechTIDE repository
- April 2019: Release of the first TechTIDE system and organization of the first TechTIDE users’ workshop
- June 2019: Development of TID mitigation procedures
- October 2019: Release of the second TechTIDE system and organization of the second TechTIDE users’ workshop
- April 2020: Release of the final TechTIDE system and organization of the final meeting with TechTIDE users and stakeholders
- First TechTIDE User Workshop, DLR, Neustrelitz, Germany, 15 May 2019
- The 1st General Assembly Meeting of TechTIDE project will be held in Athens, Greece, from 8 to 10 October 2018. More information is available in the project wiki.
- Newsletter kick off, June 2018: The first issue of the TechTIDE newsletter is now available for downloading here. Subscribed users will receive the newsletter by email (see the newsletter subscription form in the right hand side column).
- COSPAR 2018, 42nd Assembly, 14-22 July 2018, Pasadena, California, USA
- 2nd URSI Atlantic Radio Science Meeting AT-RASC 2018, Gran Canaria, Spain, 28 May – 1 June 2018
- EGU General Assembly, Vienna, Austria, Session ST4.1, New Scientific Space Weather Products and Forecasting Capabilities for Geomagnetic, Ionospheric, and Magnetospheric Conditions, Friday 13 April 2018
- EGU General Assembly, Vienna, Austria, Session ST3.1, Open Session on the Ionosphere and Thermosphere, Wednesday 11 April 2018